A semi-permanent mounting media for immunofluorescence microscopy.
- Add the following reagents to a 250 ml flask or beaker:
- 24 g analytical grade glycerol (Sigma #G-6279)
- 9.6 g Mowiol 4-88 (Fluka, #81381, can be purchased through Sigma-Aldrich)
- 24 ml distilled water
- 48 ml 0.2M Tris buffer, pH 8.5
- Stir with a clean stir bar on a hot plate on warm (not boiling)at least 4-5 hours until the majority of the Mowiol powder goes into solution.
- Aliquot into 50 ml centrifuge tubes, weigh and balance
- Centrifuge at 5000g for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the supernatant without disturbing the pellet at the bottom of the flask.
- Aliquot into 15 ml conical tubes – add only 10 mls to each tube to allow for expansion with freezing.
- Aliquots may be stored at -20C for 12 months. Store at room temperature no more than one month.
- To use, warm solution to room temperature to eliminate bubble formation. use approximately 10 ul of mounting media for an 18 mm coverslip.
- Allow slides to dry overnight at room temperature in a light-tight box.