30% acrylamide solution is used for the creation of polyacrylamide gels in gel electrophoresis techniques, such as western blotting. Acrylamide needs to be handled using best laboratory practice (such as wearing appropriate gloves, lab coat etc. and having safe systems of work) to avoid poisonous exposure since it is a neurotoxin.
Preparation of acrylamide solution (30%), 500 ml
- Weigh out 29 grams 2X Acrylamide.
- Weigh out 1 gram of N,N’-methylenebisacrylamide.
- Add acrylamide and N,N’-methylenebisacrylamide to 300ml double-distilled H2O.
- Heat to 37°C to dissolve chemicals.
- Adjust the final volume to 500ml with double-distilled H2O.
Acrylamide: Serva, 10675
N,N’-methylenebisacrylamide: Serva, 29195